Friday, August 10, 2012

Lemony White Bean and Arugula Salad

Lemony White Bean and Arugula Salad

I sometimes find it hard to restrain myself when making a salad. My motto is usually the more the merrier, throwing anything and everything into the salad bowl and often using more than one dressing. I've never been one for that generic side salad with a few sorry tomatoes and a soggy crouton to boot. No, I've never been fond of that. However, this is a salad that perfectly balances three easy ingredients with a light dressing so simple its silly.

I came upon this recipe at a free dinner hosted by the Italian Language and Culture Club at school. (Lucky me to have best friends as the ILCC co-presidents). I was struck by the sheer simplicity of the dish and of course by how delicious it was. I have since made it several times for friends and family, each time getting very positive reviews. This salad also found huge fans in BOTH of my parents, (mom a vegan and dad decidedly carnivorous) which was certainly a feat. Its time for this dish to get some publicity.

Ingredients
7 oz. bag of arugula
3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper

Did I mention this whole recipe only has 7 ingredients? 4 of which you probably already have in your pantry. Guess what? The rest is easy too. Drain and rinse the beans and place in the bottom of a large bowl. Top with arugula and onion. Slice the onion as thin as you possibly can. In a small bowl place the olive oil and the juice of the lemon and a healthy pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and stir with a large spoon until all of the arugula is evenly coated. This salad is best if it has a chance to sit for a half hour or so, so that the arugula can wilt a little under the dressing. Serve as a side dish along some grilled fish or maybe an heirloom tomato tart. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment